The Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry has waived the in-person requirements of the work permit process for the remainder of the 2019-20 academic year and while the Governor’s stay at home order is in effect.
The steps below describe the temporary modified procedures.
- The student will download and complete the electronic Work Permit application from the PDE website. Students unable to access the electronic application should email email@example.com to request that a paper application be mailed to them.
- The student’s parent or legal guardian electronically signs the PDF or signs the paper application.
- The student attaches a proof of age document (Birth Certificate, Baptismal Certificate showing the date of birth, Passport, Driver’s License or Permit) to the completed application.
- If applying electronically, the student may attach digital copies, such as a scan or digital photograph.
- If applying by mail with a paper application, the student should include photocopies of the required documents
- Upon receipt of the application and documentation, the issuing officer at the school district, Laura Boyko, will schedule a Google Meet appointment, through the student’s Northampton's email, with the student.
- The purpose of the appointment is to enable the applicant to “appear before” the issuing officer, in accordance with the Child Labor Act, while following social distancing guidelines. It also enables the issuing officer to verify the information provided on the application and the proof of age document.
- The school district issuing officer ensures that all the documents required by law have been examined, approved and filed, and all conditions and requirements for issuing a permit have been fulfilled.
- The issuing officer will mail to the minor a wallet-sized, paper work permit bearing a number, the date of issuance, and signature of the issuing officer.
- The student signs the work permit when received and shows it to the employer, who makes a copy for their records. The student retains the original work permit.