Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A capsule of the board of education’s deliberations and actions
APRIL 20, 2020
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, the Board approved the following:
- Under the authority of Board Policy 003, approve for Board meeting April 20, 2020, a temporary suspension of a portion of Board Policy 006.1, which provides in relevant part as follows: "A majority of Board members shall be physically present at a Board meeting when a Board member attends through electronic communications". The suspension is appropriately invoked due to the extraordinary circumstances of the coronavirus which has been declared to be a pandemic.
- Lori Kuhns Principal of the Northampton Area Middle School with no increase in salary effective April 21, 2020.
- School Board confirm, ratify and approve the resumption of school construction at the Lehigh Elementary School Project site in accordance with the guidance provided by the Department of Education and further that all contractors engaged in school construction work at the Project site implement agreed upon mitigating measures aimed at stopping the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). The School Board authorizes the Administration to order that school construction be stopped if necessary to protect the health and safety of the workers engaged in the construction work at the Project site.
- PlanCon Part K, Project Refinancing, and give approval to submit PlanCon Part K to the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
- The following depositories for school funds for the 2020-2021 fiscal year:
Pennsylvania Local Government Investment Trust (PLGIT)Pennsylvania School District Liquid Asset Fund (PSDLAF)
Athletic ticket prices for the 2020-2021 school year as follows:
Adult $5.00Senior Citizen (62+) Free
- Adopt the 2020-2021 CIU20 General Operating Budget in the amount of $3,663,820 with the District’s portion being $43,557.36 needed to fund the Budget.
- Temporary Amendment to the School Bus Transportation Services Agreement between Northampton Area School District and First Student, Inc. (the Temporary Amendment). The Temporary Amendment is intended to comply with the provisions of Act 13 of 2020, that allows school district to renegotiate their bus transportation agreements regarding compensation payable and thereby remain eligible for its normal State transportation subsidy payments for the next school year. Under the Temporary Amendment, compensation is payable to First Student, Inc., at the rate of 50% of the daily rate effective March 30, 2020, and shall continue during the period that the school district is mandated to close.
- Treasurer’s Report.
- A three (3) year contract with Frontline Education, beginning July 1, 2020, to provide Absence and Substitute Management for Northampton Area School District employees at an initial cost of $16,739 and a one-time implementation fee of $5,355 for implementation support and training.
- Bills for Payment.
- Elect the following individuals to the Northampton Community College Board of Trustees for the term of July 1, 2020, through June 30, 2026: Dr. Mary Sharp-Ross (Bethlehem Area School District), Mr. John Squarcia (Easton Area School District), Mr. Bruce Palmer (Nazareth Area School District), Mr. Nicholas Politi, Jr. (Northampton Area School District), and Mrs. Susan Baxter (Saucon Valley School District).
- Agreement between Element Environmental Solutions (E2S) and Northampton Area School District to provide for hygiene services for the new Lehigh Elementary School Construction Project which are recommended as mitigating measures to stop the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). The contract for services shall commence at the direction of D’Huy Engineering, Inc. and shall terminate when such services are determined by the School District administration in consultation with others that they are no longer necessary.
- Agreement between Premair Cleaning & Maintenance, LLC (Premair) and Northampton Area School District to provide for professional cleaning services for the new Lehigh Elementary School Construction Project which are recommended as mitigating measures to combat the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). The contract for services shall commence at the direction of D’Huy Engineering, Inc. and shall terminate when such services are determined by the School District administration in consultation with others that they are no longer necessary.
- Approve, confirm and ratify the School District’s Administration’s letter to farmer, Jack Weinhofer, that notifies Mr. Weinhofer that a portion of the Route 329 property will no longer be included in the lease beginning with the current 2020 farming season.