Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A capsule of the board of education’s deliberations and actions
MAY 18, 2020
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, the Board approved the following:
- Rescind the educational sabbatical for Meghan Bleiler for the first semester of the 2020-2021 school year, and approve a half-year sabbatical for Meghan Bleiler, for the purpose of professional development for the first semester of the 2022-2023 school year.
- Resignation for the purpose of retirement for Sheila Mengel, effective at the end of the day on June 4, 2020. Approve a waiver of the following requirements: Per School Code Sec. 1168 – obligation to return to service for one full school term upon conclusion of a sabbatical leave and notification to participate in the Early Retirement Incentive by February 1 or 120 calendar days prior to anticipated effective date of the school year prior to retirement.
- Appoint Jason Williamson, Assistant Business Administrator, as Board Treasurer for the term of July 1, 2020, through June 30, 2021, at no additional compensation.
- Rescind election of Matthew Sawarynski as School Board Secretary for the period effective July 1, 2019, to June 30, 2023, and in accordance with Section 404 of the Public School Code, approve the appointment of Matthew Sawarynski as School Board Secretary to fill the unexpired term of Terry Leh, who retired, effective July 1, 2019, to June 30, 2021.
- List of Professional and Support Staff transfers effective with the 2020-2021 school year.
- A one (1) year extension of the current agreement between the Northampton Area School District and Chief Wilfred Williams effective July 1, 2020, through June 30, 2021.
- A one (1) year extension of the current Act 93 Agreement between the Northampton Area School District and the Act 93 Administrative Group effective July 1, 2020, through June 30, 2021.
- A one (1) year extension of the current Northampton Area Security Association Agreement between the Northampton Area School District and the Northampton Area Security Association Group effective July 1, 2020, through June 30, 2021.
- Alicia Gialanella, 12-Month School Psychologist, effective July 1, 2020, pending receipt of proper documentation. Salary will be $66,000.00, with benefits, and in accordance with the Act 93 Agreement.
- Adoption of the following policy and attachments, effective May 18, 2020: 214 – Class Rank
- Accept the 2020-2021 property tax reduction allocation at $1,469,751.02 to reduce property taxes and set the homestead/farmstead exclusion at the same fixed amount.
- Adopt the 2020-2021 BAVTS Budget in the amount of $12,554,241 with the District’s portion being $2,219,554 needed to fund the Budget.
- Authorize Administration to pay final invoices applicable to the 2019-20 fiscal year and to make necessary budget transfers to close the fiscal year in conjunction with Gorman and Associates, P.C.
- The following insurance coverages and amounts for the 2019-20 fiscal year:
Property/General Liability/Abuse/Crime/Boiler & Machinery – Utica $142,745
Automobile - Utica $20,539
Excess Liability - Utica $12,228
School Board Errors & Omissions - AIG $28,990
Workers Compensation – WR Berkley $223,474
Cyber Liability – AIG $11,240
Fiduciary – Chubb $4,371
Law Enforcement – CRC Swett $5,362
- Tax Exonerations/Changes.
- Treasurer’s Report.
- Bills for Payment.
- Appoint Michael Baird and Chuck Longacre as the voting delegates for the PSBA Delegate Assembly to be held Saturday, November 7, 2020, at 9:00 a.m. at the Mountain View Middle School – Cumberland Valley School District or via zoom.
- Revised Secondary and Elementary School Handbooks for the 2019-2020 school year.