Nutrition and Wellness
The Northampton Area School District provides a school environment that promotes student wellness, proper nutrition, nutrition education, and encourages regular physical activity as part of the total learning experience.
The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, launched in January of 2011, form the basis of the federal government’s nutrition education programs, federal nutrition assistance programs, and dietary advice provided by health and nutrition professionals. These Guidelines are:
• Enjoy your food, but eat less.
• Avoid oversized portions.
Foods to Increase
• Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
• Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
• Make at least half your grains whole grains
Foods to Reduce
• Compare sodium (salt) in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals, and choose foods with lower numbers.
• Drink water instead of sugary drinks.