STAR Folders & Assignment Books
- Your child will receive an orange STAR Folder with their assignment book inside. It is important to monitor your child’s accurate recording of daily assignments, tests, quizzes, projects, special events, and teacher comments in their STAR Folder. All assignments and class news will be provided in class both orally and written on the board. Also, I will do my best to post this information on my class website. In order to ensure success, please sign your child’s assignment book each week. Assignment books will be checked every Monday for parent signatures. Please keep in mind it is the student’s responsibility to make sure the assignment book is signed.
- Students in my class will receive a S.T.A.R. Behavior Communication Chart separate from the assignment book. This chart allows for school-to-home communication to accompany the assignment book. Teachers will track any missed homework and falling star behaviors if students are not demonstrating expected behaviors. Please refer to the Parent / Student Handbook for details on the school rules and discipline policy.
- Remind 101 is a one-way text messaging and email system, which I use to send daily messages regarding homework, class news, and reminders. All personal information remands private so teachers won't see your number nor will you see theirs. A letter will be sent home in the beginning of the school year providing instructions to sign up for this very beneficial program.
- Students will be allowed to bring in a healthy snack to eat prior to lunch while we are busy at work. Suggestions include small snack Baggies or tiny Tupperware cups of cut fruit, vegetables, cheese, crackers, or 100 calorie packet snacks. Chips, cookies, cupcakes, and candy will not be allowed as a snack. Please do not send in junk food for a snack. Again, this is a privilege for students and may be revoked, if needed.
- Students are permitted to bring in a clear, see-through water bottle filled with water to be kept in their backpack. No soda or juice will be permitted. This water bottle will only be allowed in my classroom and may not be taken to other classes. In order to prevent excessive germs, it is the students’ responsibility to take their water bottle home on a daily basis to be washed out. This privilege will be revoked if students do not follow the guidelines or if the water bottle prevents learning. Bottles left in school will be thrown in the trash.
If you would like, you may send in a treat to celebrate your child’s birthday. Please check the Healthy Eating Guidelines on the district website. I would suggest drink boxes and pre-packaged snacks such as pretzels, popcorn, crackers, etc. Just send in a note a few days in advance or email me to let me know what you will be bringing and on which day. This will allow me to plan time in our busy schedule to enjoy your treat.
- Book club orders will be sent home on a monthly basis. If you would like to order books for your child, please make checks payable to Scholastic Books. Cash is not recommended.
Contacting the Teacher
- Parent-teacher communication and partnership is important to a successful learning experience for your child. Please feel free to contact me with any comments or questions. I can be reached by phone between 8:10 a.m. – 8:45 a.m. and 3:15 p.m. – 3:45 p.m. You may also leave me a voice mail message and I will return your call as soon as possible.
- At most times it may be easier to contact me through email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Be sure to check out my class website which posts daily assignments, tests, quizzes, special events, class news, enrichment and remedial activities, and more. My class website address is: /webpages/horvathj/