The Horned Toad Prince
Week 4 – The Horned Toad Prince
Skills & Strategy
What is unique about the landscape of the Southwest?
Challenge Spelling Words
- corral - pen for horses and cattle
- froniter - the farthest part of a settled country, where the wilds begin
- rodeo - a contest or exhibition of skill in roping cattle and riding horses and bulls
Video of a rodeo:
--- The landscape of the Southwest was once an isolated frontier. What type of plants or animals do you imagine being found in the Southwest?
An author writes to:
- express ideas and feelings
- What is the author's purpose for writing a book such as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone?
- What is the author's purpose for writing a book such as Snakes and their Prey?
Sometimes an author may have more than one purpose for writing such as the Magic School Bus series. The purpose is both to enterain and inform.
* Click on the PowerPoint file at the bottom of the page to review vocabulary words and definitions.
Try matching each vocabulary word on the left with the correct definition on the right.
roped; caught with a long rope with a loop on the end
large area of level or rolling land with grass but few or no trees
channel in which a river flows or used to flow
rude; lively, spirited
an agreement to trade or exchange; deal
without trust, doubtfully
hurt the feelings of someone; made angry
to make a sharp; ringing sound
act of kindness
made a loud, sharp, shrill sound
Vocabulary Strategy - Synonyms
- Sometimes when you're reading you come to a word you don't know. Often the author gives you a synonym for the word.
- SYNONYM - a word that has the same or almost the same meaning as another word
- Examples: plains - prairie
screeched - shrieked
peculiar - strange
- main problem
- rising action (plot/events)
- Theme / Morale - lesson learned from the story
To summarize fictional stories use the 5 magic words:
* See if you can summarize The Horned Toad Prince using the 5 magic words.
* What is the theme / morale / lesson learned from this story?
STORY ELEMENTS RAP SONG
STORY ELEMENTS INTERACTIVE
Horned Lizard & Harvesting Ants - video
Story Review / Practice Test
Listen to the Story Read Aloud
Story Cube Creator
* Review the Power Point File linked at the bottom of this page.
Conjunctions are used to hook up two phrases or clauses:
To join two simple sentences, separate each simple sentence with a comma before the conjunction. You will make a complex sentence.
Simple Sentence Example
The bees are swarming over my head.
I think they might sting me.
Complex Sentence Example
The bees are swarming over my head, and I think they might sting me.