Our current textbook is Harcourt Math. There are 9 units in our math book issued by Harcourt that correlate to the PSSA tested standards. Students will receive math homework daily and are encourage to review their basic math facts (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) to ensure success.
Math Textbook http://www.harcourtschool.com/ Click on eProducts (green box)
- username: 4grader2 / password: math
Click on the link below for tons of websites to review various math concepts. Kids will love this!
- Students begin the year reviewing place value & number sense, comparing & ordering numbers, and adding & subtracting numbers. Basic math fact knowledge is required (addition & subtraction). Students who have not mastered their math facts (completing 30 problems within 1 minute) will be required to practice their math facts using flashcards, written problems, or computer games for 10 minutes each night.
- Place Value Pirates Game - click here
- Place Value Games - click here
- Addition Basketball Game - click here
- Subtraction Blast - click here
- GHOST BLASTERS (play w/2 people) - click here
- Math Lines - practice addition - click here
- Elapsed Time Practice - click here
- Interactive Clock - click here
- Elapsed Time Notes - click here (scroll to page 4)
- Elapsed Time Review Game - ixl (What Time is It?)
- Students delve into basic concepts of time, including determining elapsed time, as well as reading basic graphs including pictographs, bar graphs, line graphs, circle graphs, line plots, ordered pairs, and stem-and-leaf plots. As they progress through the chapter, students will develop their own graphs and explore range, median, and mode.
- Interactive Clock
- A review of multiplication and division facts comprise the bulk of unit 3. Students who have not mastered their math facts (completing 30 problems within 1 minute) will be required to practice their math facts using flashcards, written problems, or computer games for 10 minutes each night.
- Students learn to multiply by 1-digit numbers, by tens, and by 2-digit numbers.
- Students learn to divide by 1-digit and 2-digit divisors.
- Students investigate concepts of geometry and algebra including lines, rays, angles, plane figures (polygons, triangles, parallelograms, etc.), motion geometry (slide, flip, turn), negative numbers and graphing.
- Click here for a quick reference guide to understand POLYGONS. You will be taken to the NOTES page. To access the word document, click the Polygon Properties file at the bottom of the page.
- Be sure to play the Polygon People Review Game linked as a PowerPoint file at the bottom of the page. Students used their bodies to create different polygon shapes. Can you identify each figure?
- http://www.khanacademy.org/exercise/recognizing_rays_lines_and_line_segments (recognizing lines, line segments, and rays)
- http://www.math-play.com/Geometry-Math-Games.html (EXCELLENT site to practice Geometry concepts using INTERACTIVE games)
- http://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/protractor-using.html (how to use a protractor)
- http://www.beaconlearningcenter.com/WebLessons/Anglemania/tri2002.htm (different types of angles)
- www.coolmath.com/tesspag1.htm (tessellations)
- http://www.mathcats.com/explore/tessellations/tesspeople.html (fun tessellation site!)
Reading a Thermometer
- A basic understanding of fractions begins the unit followed by adding and subtracting fractions and mixed numbers. Students continue the unti by developing concepts of outcomes and probability.
- Customary measurement, metric measurement, and decimals comprise this unit.
- Capacity & Measurement Video: http://www.linkslearning.org/Kids/1_Math/2_Illustrated_Lessons/6_Weight_and_Capacity/index.html
- Capacity Review - http://www.studyzone.org/testprep/math4/e/measurecapacity3l.cfm
- Math Games - http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/measures/capacity.html#Capacity
- Measurement Game - http://www.funbrain.com/cgi-bin/meas.cgi?A1=s&A2=0&A3=2
- Students finish the math book by learning about perimeter and area of plane figures and volume of solid figures.
- Area & Perimeter Interactive - http://www.mathplayground.com/area_perimeter.html
- Area & Perimeter