What Jo Did
Unit 2 – Work and Play
Concept Question: What is the value of work and play?
Week 1 – What Jo Did
Skills & Strategy
How can we learn to appreciate the talents of others?
Cause & Effect
Prefixes & Suffixes (un-, -able, -less)
Common & Proper Nouns
Challenge Spelling Words
Building Concept Vocabulary
- nervous, accept, learn
In order to develop new understandings how could these concept vocabulary words be classified? (feelings & actions)
Cause & Effect
Cause Effect What it tells Why an event happens The result of what happens Clue words since ,because so, therefore, as a result of, after, in order to, so that
Because the bones in the inner part of her nose were badly formed, the girl could breathe only through her mouth.
- Cause - what makes something happen
Ex: I didn't do my homework last night.
- Effect - what happens
Ex: I got a checkmark. I lost recess. I got grounded.
- Sometimes there are multiple effects from one cause.
After reading the story, What Jo Did, match the statements below to create a cause & effect relationship. Be sure to identify the cause and effect.
The boys gave her the nickname Jumpin' Jo.
Jo wore a hat with her hair tucked in.
Jo learned to jump super high.
The boys thought Jo was a boy.
Jo dunked the ball.
Jo practiced with a high rim.
Common & Proper Nouns - Video
Click on the link below to play games that review your skills using nouns. Be sure to scroll down to the noun games.
fouled, hoop, jersey, marveled, rim, speechless, swatted, unbelievable, backboard, dribbling, dunk
- Sports is one are in which jargon, or specialized vocabulary is common.
- Think about the meaning of each word. Look at the word speechless. See -less at the end of the word and think that -less means "without" or "not." So speechless means without talk.
Sort the vocabulary words into the categories below.
Prefixes & Suffixes
- un- (prefix) - "the opposite of _____" or "not _____"
Ex: unhappy, unwind, unwrap
- -able (suffix) - "able to be _____ed"
Ex: enjoyable, believable, deliverable
- -less (suffix) - "without ____"
Ex: speechless, homeless, thoughtless