Encantado: Pink Dolphins of the Amazon
Unit 4 – Puzzles & Mysteries
Concept Question: Is there an explanation for everything?
Week 2 – Encantado: Pink Dolphin of the Amazon
Skills & Strategy
What can explain animal behavior?
Compare & Contrast
Multiple Meaning Words – Context Clues
Subject & Object Pronouns
Challenge Spelling Words
- agility - the ability to move quickly and easily; nimbleness
(ex: A cat is agile. Jack is nimble.)
- endowed - born with; provided with some ability, quality, or talent
(ex: A cat is endowed with a sense of geography.)
- relationship - conditions that exists between people or groups that deal with eachother
(ex: The relationship between animals and their owners
is usually very strong.)
Compare & Contrast
Compare - tell how two or more things are ALIKE
- clue words like and as
Contrast - tell how two or more things are DIFFERENT
- clue words but, instead, unlike
Venn Diagrams are helpful graphic organizers that compare and contrast.
Fill in the KWL Chart below by writing down as many facts you already know about dolphins. Then, write down 3 questions you want to still know about dolphins. After reading the story, go back and fill in what you learned about dolphins.
Watch this short video clip for more information about pink dolphins. http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/animals/mammals-animals/dolphins-and-porpoises/dolphin-pink-river.html
For more information about the pink dolphin click on the links below.
The prefix aqua- in the word aquarium comes from the Latin root meaning “water.” Other words include aquamarine, aquatic, aquaplane, aqueduct
Click on the file below to complete a vocabulary CLOZE activity.
Context Clues Game
Click on the link below to play a game to determine word meaning using context clues.
- a broad statement or rule that applies to many examples
- clue words --> all, most, always, usually, generally, many
- valid generalizations - supported by facts
faulty generalizations - not supported by facts
Rain Forest Webquest
- Test your knowledge of the rain forest by taking the quiz on this website. Be sure to read through the different layers of the rain forest and the animals that reside there before taking the quiz.
Click on the link below to review pronouns.
Interactive Pronoun Games